At Go Crave Rave we go, explore and review places we love, that have inspired our fashion and homewares products. The delightful town of Berry is one of these places and also happens to be one of the best weekend getaways from Sydney on the glorious South Coast of NSW. A mere 2 and a bit hours drive, we love that you can feel faraway from the big smoke and yet still get a killer espresso, the possibility of a fashion purchase, and a swim at the beach when it gets too hot! With small country town charm and surprisingly sophisticated offerings, here are a few of our favourite haunts – not far from the GCR Country Pad (All photos GCR ).
- Roots and Wings. With a fabulous curated collection of international and Australian designers, this has to be your first stop for a fashion fix. A beautiful mix of Designer clothes, homewares and accessories, Roots and Wings is a must visit. It perfectly reflects the mix of local Berry but with a sophisticated style.We love that you can restock your Aesop supplies while you are here!
- The little sister to The Sourdough Cafe, The Milkwood Cafe is the quick and easy option for a takeaway latte, morning and afternoon pastries, and delicious ready made sandwiches. Don’t leave without grabbing a loaf of their famous Sourdough bread. They stock a small range of quality products for the pantry including the best toasted muesli.
- Love love love The Shady Fig. A clever florist owns and runs this local gem which contains the most beautiful floral arrangements. A sign helpfully highlights the fact that all the flowers are real – even though they don’t look it! There is an assortment of carefully selected homewares and during our last visit we found balloons filled with confetti for the next party. Fun and beautiful.
- Moss Nest. This favourite haunt is mostly great for home wares, knick-knacks and gifts. There is also a beautiful affordable florist in the entry with a varying range of bouquets for sale.
- A relatively new addition to the cool Berry scene is The Picnic Shed. Stocking an array of home and garden-ware, it has all you need for a picnic! The baby sister to the Sourdough Bakery, the Australian owners have brought their Scandinavian feel to what was once literally a garden shed.
- Little Rae. This stylish General Store and Coffee Bar sells the most amazing Croque Monsieurs, bread, muffins and other treats. If you are there when the sticky date puddings are on, you are in luck! While waiting you can browse the select homewares range including In Bed linen sheets that come in a cute little linen pouch of their own.
- A shop that is hard to pass by is the Il Locale – a gelateria selling gelato from a local dairy farm. They also sell killer toasted foccacias with tuna pickles and a dressing that you’ll begin to crave! What’s your flavour of gelato? Lemon and ginger, strawberry, pistachio, caramel, cookies and fig? This shop has it all.
- Berry is nothing without a visit to one of the beaches nearby: Gerroa, Gerringong / Werri Beach or 7 Mile Beach. With very few crowds year round these beaches are unbeatable – their clean, clear water, and endless stretches of white sand make it the perfect surfer’s paradise. I spy some GCR Kenyan Kikoys!
- The best part of Berry is that Billy the GCR Labrador loves it there!